There are many ways for your children to be victims of sexual abuse, and it doesn’t always have to be through physical contact. In fact, there are ways in which predators can get in touch with young ones and persuade them to do things that most of the time they do not understand, and after being threatened to keep them away from telling their parents, children fall into the grooming situation.
Following, you’ll find a list of facts that you should know and that reveal an awful truth. These topics are based on a study held by the U.S Department of Health and Human Services’ Child Bureau:
- 3 out of 4 teenagers have been sexually abused by someone they know.
- 16 out of 1000 children, aged 12 to 17, have been sexually abused.
- 1 out of 5 girls has been a victim of sexual abuse.
- 1 out of 20 boys has been a victim of sexual abuse.
- Children are more vulnerable to be victims of sexual abuse when they are ages 7 to 13.
- 15 out of 30 children have been victims of grooming.
- Children who are being victims of grooming do not tell somebody they know because they are too afraid of them (or a person they know and trust) getting hurt by the predator, as they are often threatened.
- The non-contact abuse happens when a child is exposed to pornography or when he or she receives explicit images from the predator.
- In only 5 to 15% of the cases, the evidence of a child that has been penetrated it’s only barely shown, making it difficult for the child to have an evidence other than its own confession.
- Keep in mind that sexuality is something normal, something a child will discover at their own time. If you start noticing premature sexual behaviour on your child, ask them what’s going on, as it might be a signal of sexual non-physical abuse.
It is important to know that even when there are no visible physical damages done to the victim, the psychological harm that has been done can last for a lifetime. We must keep in mind that love, support and understanding is the best medicine for a child that has suffered an abuse they did not fully understand for most of the lasting.